Often, when roofs start wearing out or become too old to use, many owners get caught in a dilemma – whether to overlay the roof or replace it. While it is obvious to get hassled during situations like these, the key is to know what roof overlay is and what roof replacement is to make an informed choice. So, let’s get straight to the point and see what is better – roof overlay or roof replacement.
What is Roof Overlay?
As the name implies, roof overlay involves keeping your old roof and installing a new roofing system directly over it. While overlaying a roof may seem convenient and more cost-effective, you must remember that you opt for roof overlay only when the existing sheet isn’t overlaid on an older one.
What is Roof Replacement?
Roof replacement comprises removing the entire old roof and installing a new one. It involves following the process required to install a new roof. Now, replacing the roof may be strategically an easy decision to make. But it involves a significant investment and may involve time depending on the roofing area.
So, the basic difference is that roof overlay will involve laying a new sheet over an existing one, and roof replacement will involve replacing the entire roof. Let’s now look at some pros and cons of roof overlay and roof replacement.
Roof Overlay – Pros and Cons
Pros of Roof Overlay
- Less labor-intensive work. Only overlaying is involved
- Quicker work completion as only a new sheet is laid over the old one
- Safer than a replacement that involves removing the entire roofing assembly
- 20-25% less expensive than roof replacement
Cons of Roof Overlay
- Higher probability of repair work and expenses later on.
- Problems, if any, in the roofing structure may go unnoticed.
- Roofing parts like flashings around the sidewalls and roof penetrations may compromise, resulting in leakages and roof rot.
- The structure of a roof losing granules may not sustain the weight of the old roof and the new roof.
Roof Replacement – Pros and Cons
Pros of Roof Replacement
- The entire roof, along with the material, is replaced
- You get to use upgraded material, parts, etc. for your roof
- Replacement adds to the durability quotient of the roofing system
- Higher endurance in extreme weather conditions
Cons of Roof Replacement
- Increased costs
- Time-consuming, as you remove the old roof and install a new one
- Old roof disposal is an additional task that adds to time and cost
Whether you should overlay the roof or replace it, the decision is to be made at the individual level, considering the context.
Consulting experts like Aditya Profiles can help you in this case. The company’s experts visit the site, inspect the roof and recommend the best option from the safety perspective of the roof and the structure under it.
If you also are caught in a dilemma between choosing roof overlay and roof replacement, connect with Aditya Profiles. The company’s roofing specialists will help you step out of it and make a prudent and informed choice.
Call +91 20 2970 1900 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment with the company’s roofing experts.